Retired generals hit Gudani sacking
Urge other officers to step forward on election fraud
BY VICTOR REYES
AT least 40 retired generals and senior officers, including former AFP chief Gen. Joselin Nazareno, yesterday expressed moral support for Brig. Gen. Francisco Gudani and Lt. Col. Alexander Balutan who were relieved after testifying before the Senate on alleged cheating in last year's presidential elections.
Some of them asked other officers who have knowledge about cheating in the May 2004 polls to come out.
They said the morale of junior officers was further diminished by the attempt to prevent Gudani and Balutan from testifying, confirming earlier reports that the sacking of the two Marine officers has triggered renewed restiveness in the military.
Taiwan executive missing; kidnap for ransom eyed
A TAIWAN business executive was reported missing in Cavite and might have been abducted by a kidnap-for-ransom gang, police said yesterday.
Police said Kevin Tsai, chief executive of a local subsidiary of Taiwan-based Exito Electronics Co. Ltd., was reported missing by his office when he failed to show up on Thursday morning at the production plant in Silang, Cavite.
"It appeared to be a kidnap-for-ransom case," said a police official who declined to be named.
Marcelo quits as Tanodbayan, cites failing health
TANODBAYAN Simeon Mar-celo yesterday resigned as head of the Office of the Ombudsman, barely three years into his seven-year term, citing failing health due to overwork.
Marcelo submitted a one-page letter of irrevocable resignation to President Arroyo dated Sept. 30, 2005. He will be out of the anti-graft body effective Nov. 30, 2005.
"[My] usual schedule of working seven days a week since I joined the government in February 2001 (as solicitor general) has exacted a heavy toll on my health, leaving me physically and mentally exhausted," Marcelo said in his letter.